Acupressure Points for Blood Pressure
Acupressure, the ancient Chinese technique to cure the ails ranging from common issues like headaches to more complex ones like spinal pain is also very useful in controlling blood pressure. By applying pressure on certain pressure points of our body therapists can easily control the blood pressure. Some of the Acupressure Points for Blood Pressure are listed below-
- GB20 or Gall Bladder 20 – Being the most effective point for the treatment of high blood pressure, this point can be reached using the thumb at the back of your neck in the depression on both sides of the vertebral column on the base of the skull. Medium pressure must be applied firmly on this point for about 1 minute to activate it with the help of thumb. You should breathe deeply while using this point to increase the effectiveness of the process. Giving stimulation to this point reduces the amount of fluctuation in blood pressure and is also used to cure headache. This point can also be used to treat neck pain, fever and eye problems.
- GV20 or Governing Vessel 20 – GV20 is also known as the Hundred Convergences and is very useful in controlling high blood pressure. It is located at the top of the head. If you a draw an imaginary line from ear to ear, this point is at the dead centre of the drawn line. Massaging and pressing this point with the help of thumb and fingers helps in calming down the nerves and is also very useful in case you are suffering from depression. Dizziness, headache and irritability can also be cures using this point.
- LI11 or Large intestine 11- LI11 is also known as the Large Intestine 11 point is useful for the treatment of blood pressure related problems. Another term for this point is Crooked Pond and can be found at the outer side of the elbow where the elbow crease cease to exist. This point can be used by applying strong and steady pressure on it for about 1 minute and then switching the arm to apply the pressure on the point on other elbow. This point is used to lower the blood pressure, heat and inflammation. It can also be used in healing tennis elbow, high fever, arm pain, high fever, menstrual and blood circulation issues.
- LI4 or Large Intestine 4- This point is used for the treatment of chronic pain and many diseases along with the treatment of blood pressure. Also known as the Union Valley, this point is situated at the webbing between the thumb and the forefinger. It balances and calms the blood circulation throughout the body. This point should not be used by pregnant women as it can induce premature labor. Apart from blood pressure this point can also be used in treating toothache, skin problem, menstrual problems and rhinitis.
- ST36 or Stomach 36- This pressure point is also known as the Leg Three Miles and is located four finger width from the bottom of the knee and one finger width from the outer side of the shin bone. It is also used for the treatment of hypertension, lower leg pain, asthama, depression, insomnia and other circulatory disorders apart from blood pressure issues. To use this point steady and firm pressure has to be applied for about 1 minute.
- PC6 or Pericardium 6- Also known as the Inner Gate, this point is very helpful in soothing the heart and can play a crucial role in the proper functioning of heart and circulatory system. Found at the distance of three finger width from the wrist crease on the inner forearm, this point is activated by applying firm and steady pressure using the finger or, more conveniently, the thumb. This point can also be used in cases of nausea, motion sickness, vomiting, asthma, chest congestion, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- GB 34 or Gall Bladder 34- Main use of this point is to control hypertension naturally but, it can also be used in case of blood pressure. Also known as the Yang Hill Spring, this point is located on the outer side of the lower leg as shown in the image. To activate this point apply strong and steady pressure using the middle and the index finger. This point can also be used with shoulder pain, jaundice, vomiting, knee pain and infantile convulsion.
- LV3 or Liver 3- This is among the most vital points for the treatment of hypertension. Also known as Bigger Rushing this point is located on the top of the foot at the place shown in the image. To use this point for treatment apply moderate and firm pressure using index for 1 minute. It is also very helpful in the treatment of eye problems, impotency in males, vomiting, nausea, menstrual issues, insomnia and indigestion.
- HT7 or Heart 7- Also known as the Spirit Gate, this point is located on the crease of the wrist as shown in the image below. To use this point apply steady pressure on this point using thumb. This point is particularly helpful in treating hypertension and anxiety but can also treat problems like irregular heartbeat, angina and insomnia.
KD1 or Kidney 1- This point is useful for the treatment of hypertension and helps in calming the mind and relaxing all tension, anger and anxiety. Also known as the Bubbling Spring, this point is located on the sole of the foot as shown in the image. This point can also be used in the treatment of tinnitus, sore throat, epilepsy, sleeping disorders and nausea.